Can I Use Taubmans Roof Paint For Cement Tiles?
When considering whether or not Taubmans roof paints can be used for your cement tiles, it is important to discuss your intentions with a painting professional. There are a number of factors to take into consideration, depending on the nature of the cement tiles. For example:
- Are they roof tiles? If so, an important factor is whether the paint is suitable for collecting drinking water, as certain paints are while others are not.
- What gloss/sheen level is suitable for cement?
- How porous are the tiles?
The following Taubmans roof paints are described as being suitable for “Masonry”, which includes brick, concrete blocks, stone, cement, etc., with the units normally laid with cement mortar, which binds them together. However, check with a painting professional first, to discuss whether it’s suitable for painting cement tiles.
- Taubmans Sun Proof Exterior – Low Sheen (with a Gloss Level of 10-15%) or Gloss (Gloss Level of 65-75%) – suitable for fibrous cement, brick and cement render.
- This paint is suitable for the collection of drinking water.
- Taubmans Endure Exterior – Matt (with a Gloss Level of 4%) – suitable for masonry.
- This paint is not suitable for collecting drinking water.
The following Taubmans exterior paints, too, are suitable for masonry. However, it is important to discuss their suitability with your paint professional, depending on the nature of your cement tiles.
- Taubmans All Weather – Low Sheen, suitable for all exterior walls and surfaces, including masonry. Talk to a professional about its suitability, depending on the use of your tiles.
- Taubmans Tradex Exterior. These are 100% acrylic exterior paints. They are self-priming on most exterior surfaces, including masonry. They are easy to apply and have UV Barrier protection to ensure a longer life for your paint job. Again, check with a professional to ensure its suitability.
When using new concrete, or cement render and mortar, the surface should “cure” for 28 days before painting. “Curing” is the process of controlling the amount and rate of moisture loss while the concrete/cement is hardening. By allowing this process to run its course, you will be assured of increased strength, and avoid cracks in the concrete (cracks have a huge impact on how durable the concrete is, as well as how porous it is – how much water can soak through). The reason for maintaining a correct amount of water in the concrete while it is hardening is that the water is needed for the concrete to harden through a process called “hydration”, which is a chemical reaction where water molecules bond with compounds in the cement. Water loss can be a problem with high temperatures, and the concrete needs to be dampened to avoid moisture loss through evaporation.
The curing of concrete is a technical process which should not be hurried. The correct hardening of the concrete is important – therefore the 28 days’ curing period before painting.
For previously painted concrete surfaces, all flaky and loose paint needs to be removed by sanding, scraping and/or stripping. Glossy or enamel surfaces need to be thoroughly sanded. Often old enamel paint becomes brittle, and will crack, after a few years of being exposed to the weather. The surfaces then need to be thoroughly cleaned and dust removed, using detergent such as sugar soap. They then need to be undercoated.
“Taubmans 3 in 1” is a water based multi-purpose primer, and a multi-surface sealer and undercoat, suitable for use with masonry. It is also suitable for interior and exterior applications, and dries quickly, which makes recoating quicker. Being water-based reduces cleaning up time, and makes the clean-up process a lot easier.
When it comes to finally painting your cement tiles, make sure the surfaces to be painted are clean and dry. In hot and windy conditions, or when painting very absorbent surfaces, dampen the surface with water before painting – and make sure you carefully follow the application instructions.
Taubmans offers a lifetime guarantee on “Taubmans Sunproof” and “Taubmans Endure” paints, against blistering, flaking or peeling if applied on suitable and properly prepared surfaces according to printed directions.
Taubmans also offers a 15-year guarantee for “Taubmans All Weather” paints, under the same conditions: the surfaces need to be suitable, and properly prepared according to printed directions.
As you can see, although there are a number of Taubmans roof/exterior paints which are suitable for painting masonry. There are conditions regarding the application of these paints – and it all depends on the nature of your cement tiles, as to whether the paints are suitable or not.
Always check the instructions, and talk to a professional about your requirements, before choosing/purchasing your paint.
At Amazing Roof Restorations – your Newcastle and Hunter Valley Specialist – we have over 25 years’ experience. All the products we use are of the highest quality and made by distinguished brands in roofing.
Contact us on (02) 4944 2085 – or complete your details on our Home page, for a free quote – and one of our friendly, reliable and fully trained roofing experts will be in touch to discuss your requirements.